Sunday, October 4, 2009

Introduction.

I am a person who does not fall in love often. Consequently, when I do fall, I tend to stay fallen. Thus far, my great passions in life are animals (especially dogs), writing, music, tattoos and books. The greatest of all these loves is books.

I've spent practically all my life in love with words, expression and stories. As I grew older, this grew into a love of books themselves. The smell, look, and even the feel of books has grown into a passion that equals my love for the stories they contain.

In short, I'm a bibliophile. One of those people who has to decide each month whether my expendable (and often my not-so-expendable) income goes towards going out to movies and buying drinks--or if I need a couple more books. One of those people who always carries a book in their bag. One of those people who can't have a conversation without quoting or referencing something "I read the other day." One of those people who cringes at the latest Hollywood adaptation of a much-beloved tome. One of those people who can't imagine their life without reading.

Most of the time, though, as with anything, if you don't preserve the memories of things you love, they tend to slip away. And for the next year, I'm not going to let my books do that. Even if it's just this once, I want to have a year in my reading life laid out in one place so I can see any patters that emerge. Each entry may be about a single book or may cover several books I've read over the past while. The point is not to summarise, critique, or review, though I may do all three. I'm mostly going to react to each and see where it takes me.

Maybe it's about learning something about myself through what I read. Maybe it's just seeing where my reading journey takes me. Either way. It's a year of my world full of books and learning.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. I am always looking for a good book recommendation, so I am excited about it!, I even used an exclamation point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I love reading myself (although I think you probably trump me in this area based on your intro). I can't wait to see what this year brings for you. Do you tend towards a certain type of literature?

    ReplyDelete