Friday, January 8, 2010

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work by Alain de Botton

Having read de Botton's book How Proust Can Change Your Life when I was an undergrad and deeply interested in how abstract, stuffy, 'underrated' philosopher/writers could change my perspective... you know, to prove that I was deep and interesting. Either way, I fell in love with de Botton's writing style.

So, having been unemployed for an embarrassingly long period of time and forced to slough through the mires of the job hunt, in the middle of a terrible depression (both country-wide and personal), I found this book and fell right in again. Each portion focuses on different people in different careers, ten in all.

So while I walked through undergrad and tried to find myself academically and intellectually, de Botton kept me warm at night. And now that my college career is pretty firmly behind me, de Botton helped me keep perspective looking for how I'm going to spend my day to day bringing home the bacon. I've found it again in the walls of my retail bookstore... and although I love it, a job is a job is a job. And although it's interesting and sometimes fascinating to see what goes into being a rocket scientist or a dock worker or a biscuit manufacturer, every job and every day has its ups and downs, its moments of beauty in unlikely places and annoyances.

And hey, that's just life, ain't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment